Be Happy!

Be Happy!
Rainbow smiles to carry everywhere

Saturday 29 October 2011

I Love Paper!

When it comes to paper, I just can't help myself.
There is always something extra special about each sheet, especially handmade paper, and I find it so hard to resist bringing a whole shop-full home with me. I love the fact that it can be used for everything from notes to clothing and this has led to quite a stash in my wee studio!

 Paper was actually what first got me into this wonderfully exciting world of book-binding, in the form of the most wonderful shop I have ever had the pleasure to visit 'The Japanese Paper Place'. When I lived in Toronto (working in a book-shop appropriately) I used to pass this shop every single day on the way to and from work. This was often one of my favourite parts of the day, and always inspiration-sparking.

 One day I noticed that they were offering book-binding classes and this was my revelatory moment when I realised that you could actually BE a bookbinder, people got to create artworks of books for a living! Amazing! Although I never took one of their classes (too poor, official learning had to wait until I was back in Scotland) I held onto that thought and read up on the subject, creating mini-books and journals from some of the lovely papers I had aquired.


I still have some of the papers I bought in that magical emporium...and many more bought since then! I never seem to use them up as fast as I aquire them which is why this morning was a sorting extravaganza, nothing more fun that sorting rainbow of gorgeous almost-forgotten papers though. I have so many new project swimming in my head after seeing them all out in the sunlight again.

Watch this space... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment